Center for Systems and Information Services (CSIS)
The Centre for Systems and Information Services (CSIS) was formed from the inception of the University in the year 2002. We are a service Department offering a number of facilities to the staff and students of Covenant University.
CSIS seeks to address the connectivity and harnessing of the emerging technologies to enhance research capacity. Modernizing the infrastructure and services that support research activities of the institute is therefore a priority of the Department.
Our first point of contact is the ICT Help Desk where we provide effective frontline support to all internal and external end-users in a timely manner. We communicate regularly with customers to update their call progress, monitor and test fixes to ensure that challenges are resolved. The centre also makes available remote access to the systems, logs requests from any caller in a well-designed format that gives details of the caller’s ID and his or her needs, logs details of the officer that may be directed to attend to this request online, gives technical directives to callers on how to resolve certain issues and submits the logged requests to HSS, Network Administrator or Head, Telecoms Unit as may be required.
The Vision of CSIS is to become a world class centre of excellence where the potential of ICT is harnessed to transform the institution into an automated work environment that supports research and development to provide a customer-centred ICT and Business Development service that:
- Is responsive to the needs of a diverse range of users
- Is a valued and integral part of the University’s academic and business processes
- Provides the lead in access to electronic forms of information
- Exploits technology to its full potential
- Leads and manages business process review in the University
- Provides leadership in the area of ICT to help ensure the effective use of academic and business information systems within the University
- Provide packages that will give solution to the University’s electoral matters that can equally be extended to the national level
- Provides electronic e-Payment for financial operations.
- Provides electronics e-Learning, e-Health, e-Examination e-Administration for the internal and external university communities.
The Mission of CSIS is to provide, coordinate, and facilitate the use of technology and information resources to the satisfaction of the institution and its stakeholders and to improve and maintain the local area network (LAN) and to liaise with external suppliers and providers of ICT goods and services to provide computing, information, and telecommunications services and support at Covenant University.
- Professional and friendly
- Proactive as well as reactive
- Customer focused
- Collaborative and sharing
- Challenging and supportive
- Forward looking
Modernizing the infrastructure and services that support research activities of the institution is a priority of CSIS.
Objectives are therefore:
- To lead, manage and develop ICT in Covenant University
- To provide excellent customer centred services that are responsive to the changing needs of the user
- To maintain an effective staff development programme to ensure that ICT staff continue to develop the necessary skills to provide high-quality services and support
- To actively contribute to the University’s Sustainability agenda
- To contribute to the University’s Change agenda by promoting the effective use of ICT and leading a number of reviews of business processes within the University
- To create and maintain data in the MIS system
- To manage and coordinate the entry of data into various database systems including students’ record/portal
- To develop database applications to support the internal programs
- To continue analyzing of the University’s activities for automation
- To undertake various data processing needs of the University
- To plan and implement training activities for the various units
- To collect and collate data and produce reports needed by external bodies and agencies like: WAEC, NECO, NYSC, NUC, JAMB and other professional bodies
Activities of CSIS
- Provision of hardware & software
- Automation of core services
- Maintenance of server functions for email, internet, databases, file storage and administration
- ICT Policy & Strategy development and implementation
- Data management services
- Technical Support Services
- Website design and development
- Provision of intercom for communications within the University with external community
- Maintenance of intercommunication equipment for the University
- Provision of Constant Intranet and Internet connectivity for both staff and student use
- Management of the University Portal
- Application development
- Data processing
- Provision and management of electronics teaching aid
- Provision and management of video conferencing and virtual learning.