Ede Anthony N.
Dr Senior Lecturer, Ag. HOD PhD (Composite Mat Civil Structures, UniSalento, Italy), B.Sc-M. Sc. (Civil-Structural Engineering, Alma Mater Studiorum-Università di Bologna- Italy),
The Department of Civil Engineering came into existence at the beginning of the 2004/2005 session. It runs an integrated sandwich program to acquaint the students with the basic knowledge, practices and current advances in the field of Civil Engineering. Civil Engineering is concerned with the planning, design, construction, maintenance and environmental impact of buildings, roads, airports, waterways, railways, bridges, tunnels, docks, offshore structure, dams, water supply, drainage and irrigation systems/schemes, and other major works. The program in civil engineering is therefore designed to produce engineers that can meet the challenges in the afore-mentioned areas through service in governmental agencies/establishments, the building and construction industry, transportation industry, consulting firms, teaching and research organizations.
In September 2009, the Department became one of the Departments in the School of Engineering within the College of Science and Technology.
The vision of Civil Engineering Department is to be a world leader in ground breaking scientific and technological innovation and to train engineers who will cooperate with other professionals to create a sustainable world and enhance the global quality of life.
The mission of the Department is to provide, through innovative teaching and research, civil engineering education aimed at producing a new generation of highly motivated, competent, skilful and innovative professionals and students with a burning desire to tackle Africa’s developmental challenges. Consequently, the Department strives to generate and provide high quality and high-tech knowledge in a student-friendly environment for the purpose of producing well-prepared leaders of tomorrow.
ACTIVITIES OF THE UNITS
The main activities of the Department are teaching, research and community development. We graduated the second set of students on the 2nd of July, 2010. Our research activities are as detailed in paragraph 8.0. Many of our undergraduate final year projects are community service related. For example, there have been projects on the causes and solution to the Sango- Ota traffic congestion, public health issues of domestic water supply in Odo-Ado, Ota. Characterization of solid waste generation at Covenant University and the effect of industrial effluents on surface water, etc.
Philosophy and Objectives
The Philosophy of the Department of Civil Engineering which is in consonant with the overall philosophy of Covenant University, which can be summarized as “Bringing up a new generation of Africans that will move the continent forward in all areas of endeavour”. The Department adopts a very practical and realistic approach to the solution of all civil engineering problems based upon sound mastery of underlying theories in order to produce graduates who will impact their society and environment positively and bring about the desired changes that would be an example for others to follow. Our products should be capable of making informed contributions to technological issues in a globalised environment.
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the program are:
- To teach the student the fundamental concepts of Civil Engineering with which he can build his career to the highest degree of professional competence
- To develop the students in the application of accumulated technical knowledge, sense of analysis, and creative design abilities, innovation and adaptability, and leadership qualities
- To provide the students opportunity to develop, after a basic understanding of all areas of Civil Engineering practice, his special area of interest which include structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation planning and highway engineering, water resources and environmental engineering, Civil Engineering planning, construction engineering and management
- To provide a practical training in the industries and other Civil Engineering establishments as preparation for professional practice.
Research & Development
RESEARCH CLUSTERS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
A number of research projects are going on in the Department. These include:
- Recycling of Asphalt Pavements by Akinwunmi, Isaac Ibukun under the supervision of Prof. J. B. Adeyeri
- Evaluation of water quality modelling parameters: towards the evolvement of reaeration coefficient for rivers in the nigerian environment by Omole, Olugbenga David under the supervision of Dr. Longe
- Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Infilled Frames Under Vertical Loading by Akanmu Abiola Abosede.
- Wastewater Treatment System in a Residential Tertiary Institution: Design, Performance Evaluation and Management by Olukanni, David Olatunde under the supervision of Prof A. A. Adekalu and Prof. Ducoste
- Pollution Problems And Engineering Approach To The Management And Control Of Industrial Effluents Discharged Into Selected Rivers In Ota Nigeria By Ogbiye, Adebanji Samuel under the supervision of Dr. Ife Adewumi
- Urban Renewal & Upgrading: Simulation for a New Ota by 2030
U.T.M.E. Requirements: The minimum entry requirement for admission into the Department of Civil Engineering is O/L SSCE/GCE/NECO Credit level pass in five (5) subjects, including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and either credit pass in Further Mathematics, Biology, or Technical Drawing.
U.T.M.E Subjects include English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
Staff & Personnel
|S/N||NAME||DESIGNATION||QUALIFICATION||PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION||PROGRAMME OF SPECIALIZATION|
|1||Prof. Coker, A. O.||Professor||B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D||COREN, MNSE||Water Resources/Environmental Engineering|
|2||Dr. Osunbitan, J.A.||Associate Professor||B.Sc M.Sc, Ph.D||COREN,MNSE, MAAN||Environmental Engineering|
|3||Engr. Aderemi, O.||B.Sc M.Phil||COREN||Structures|
|1||Prof. Falade, A||Professor||B.Sc M.Sc, Ph.D||COREN, MNSE||Structures/Materials|
|2||Prof. Lasisi, Fola||Professor||B.Sc M.Sc, Ph.D||COREN, FASCE, FAAN,||Structures|
|1||Mr. Badmus, E.O||Chief Technologist||HND, PGDE||Environmental/Hydraulics|
|2||Mr. Jolayemi, Joshua||Technologist I||HND, PGD||Structures/Concrete/Materials|
|3||Mr. Idowu, G. A.||Technologist II||HND||Highway/Transportation/Survey|
|4||Mrs. Durotoye, O||Technologist II||HND||Geotechnical|
|5||Mr. Idowu, B. O||Lab Technician||NBTC||NCC||Concrete/Carpentry|
|6||Mr. Akhirebhu Nicholas||Lab Attendant||SSCE O LEVEL|
|7||Mr. Olimaro Gift||Lab Attendant||SSCE O LEVEL|
|1||Mrs. Peter Adesola||Administrative Officer||B.Sc, M.Sc||Business Administration|
|2||Miss Bisiriyu, Oluwatoyin||Receptionist||Diploma||Secretarial and Computer Studies|