AJANI Olayinka Oyewale, Dr
B.Sc (Ife), M.Sc (Ife), Ph.D (Covenant University), MICCON, MCSN, MACS
Organic Synthesis and Medicinal Chemistry
- Over ten years of research experience in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry.
- Successfully designed and synthesized bioactive quinoxaline derivatives using microwave irradiation technique as a green approach.
- Successfully synthesized potential ligands and metal complexes with promising antimicrobial versatilities.
- Expertise in chromatographic purification, spectral characterization, process research and scale-up operations.
- Experience in derived and utilized structure activity relationships (SAR) to improve the efficacy of drug candidates.
- Experienced in designing and executing multi-steps synthesis of various bio-active molecules.
- Working knowledge of most of the chemical databases and software in structural elucidation.
Awards & Honours
(1) Certificate of Recognition as Top Cited Author in Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Year 2010-2011, by Elsevier Publishing, Netherland (2012).
(2) Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Research Achievement, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing (2011).
(3) Cash Award for Publishing Scientific Research in Journal with High Impact Factor (2010).
(4) Award of 2009 CAS-TWAS Postgraduate Fellowship Award FR Number: 3240223239 (2009).
(5) Best Class Adviser, Department of Chemistry Covenant University 2012.
(6) Best Examination Officer, Department of Chemistry Covenant University (2009).
(7) Best Class Adviser, Department of Chemistry Covenant University 2008.
Organic Chemistry, theory and practical as well as General Chemistry at all levels of undergraduate study.
- CHM 121 – General Organic Chemistry
- CHM 129 – Experimental Chemistry II
- CHM 119 – Experimental Chemistry I
- CHM 221 – Basic Organic Chemistry
- CHM 228 – Experimental Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 312 – Organic Chemistry
- CHM 313 – Experimental Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 412 – Seminar
- CHM 418 – Natural Product Chemistry
- CHM 433 – Wood, Pulp and Paper Chemistry
- CHM 426 – Pulp and Paper Technology
- CHM 818 – Synthetic Organic Chemistry
Current Postgraduate Supervision
Selected Publications (3)
2010 TWAS Frontier in Water and Sanitation: A Workshop for Water Engineers and Scientists from Developing Countries. Held in Beijing from 16th to 21st of August, 2010.
Obafemi, C.A., Oyenekan, M.B., Ajani, O.O. (2004). Microwave Assisted Approach to Environment-friendly Synthesis of Organic Compounds. Nigeria Society of Environmental Management Conference Paper. Held in OAU, Ile-ife, Osun State November 2004.
Summary of Profile
Dr. Ajani has a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry where he is engaged in: synthetic modification of polyfunctionalized molecules, designing of highly expeditious pathway towards preparation of various bioactive nitrogen and sulphur containing heterocyclic compounds, utilization of various cross coupling strategies to achieve targeted novel sulphonamides as scaffolds of high pharmacological relevance, engaging cutting-edge approach for purification of novel synthesized compounds, expertise in small molecule drug discovery and development process via microwave assisted organic synthetic (MAOS) approach.