Professor Claudius Ojo Aremu AWOSOPE
Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering), M.Sc. Tech (UMIST), B.Sc. (Hons.) Electrical Engineering
- Power System Reliability Analysis
- Machines, High Voltage and Control Engineering
Awards & Honours
1. Received a medal for meritorious services as the FIRST SUB-DEAN of the P.G School.
2. Received a medal for meritorious services as the SECRETARY GENERAL of the NSE Lagos Branch.
3. Received a medal for being the FIRST INAUGURAL LECTURER of the NSE Electrical DIVISION, Inaugural Lecture series.
4. Received a medal for being a PIONEERING Chief Examiner for Economics/ Statistics of the Accounting Technician Scheme (ATS) of ICAN.
5. Received the 2010 Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) MERIT AWARD in the non-member category.
6. Received the 2011 Meritorious Services Award Instituted by the POWER GROUP of the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, University of Lagos.
7. Received the 2010 Meritorious Services Award Instituted by the Academic Staff Union of the Nigerian Universities, Unilag Branch.
- At university of Lagos 1976-2011(March)
1.Power Transmission and Distribution (EEG 403) – Year 4 Electrical.
2. Electrical Power Systems 1 (EEG 507) Year 5 Electrical).
3. Electrical Power Systems II (EEG 508) (Year 5 Electrical).
4. Final Year Students’ Projects Supervision (EEG 510 & EEG 512).
5. Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering (EEG 202 – All Year 2 Engineering Students including Physics).
6. Technical Communication (GEG 401 – All Year 4 Engineering Students).
- At Covenant University 2011-date
7. Research Methodology (EIE510 -all EEE, CEN, ICE students)
8. Power Systems planning and Design (EEE 526-all EEE students)
Current Postgraduate Supervision
1.Electrical Power Systems and Control (EEG 804 M.Sc. and M.Phil).
2. Protective Systems (EEG 806 M.Sc. and M.Phil).
3. M. Sc. Mini-Projects (EEG 801) Supervisions.
4. M. Sc. Research Projects (EEG 803) Supervisions.
5. M. Phil. Dissertations Supervisions.
6. Ph. D. Theses Supervisions*.
*At University of Lagos and at Covenant University
Selected Publications (17)
2. 1982: A Seminar on Swedish/Nigerian Experience on Hydro-Electricity at the NEPA Conference Hall, Akangba, Lagos.
3. December 1983: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Lagos.
4. December 1984: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Kano.
5. December 1985: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Ilorin.
6. December 1986: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Warri.
7. December 1987: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Port Harcourt.
8. December 1988: Nigerian Society of Engineers Annual Conference at Abeokuta.
9. September 2011: 1st Electrical and Information Engineering Department International Conference at Covenant University, Ota.
10. November 2012: 2nd Electrical and Information Engineering Department International Conference at Covenant University, Ota.
Summary of Profile
Claudius Ojo Aremu Awosope was born on the 21st April, 1946 in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. He had his Primary and Secondary Education in Osun State, Nigeria. After his Secondary Education, he attended Olunloyo College of Education, Ibadan and Adeyemi College of Education Ondo between 1966 and 1968 when he obtained the National Certificate of Education (NCE) with Distinctions in his specialist subjects: Mathematics and Physics. He taught Mathematics and Physics between January 1969 and September 1969 in a Secondary School, Ile-Ife. In September 1969, he was offered admission to pursue a B. Sc degree in Electrical Engineering at the University of Lagos. In June 1972 he obtained the B. Sc (Hons.) degree in Electrical Engineering in the FIRST CLASS. He worked as an Oil logging and Electrical Engineer at Schlumberger (Nig) Oil Services Company, warri and also worked with an Electrical Engineering Consulting firm (TACAS ASSOCIATES), Yaba, Lagos as a Design Engineer. In September 1973, he proceeded to the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Manchester, England on a Federal Government Scholarship where he obtained the Masters Degree (M.sc) in Electrical Engineering. In March 1976, he assumed duty as Lecturer II at the University of Lagos, in the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering. In 1978 he proceeded to Queen Mary College, University of London, London, England on a Staff Common Wealth Scholarship to kick off his PhD Program. In 1982, he obtained PhD ( Electrical Engineering) degree at the University of Lagos. He became a full Professor on October 01, 1992. He gave his Inaugural Lecture at the University of Lagos on September 10, 2003.
He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (FNSE) in 1992, Corporate Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (No 6759682M) and a duly Registered Electrical Engineer by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering practice in Nigeria (COREN) (No 1586) in 1981.
He is a core Electrical Power Systems Engineer who specializes in Reliability of power systems. He has acquired a lot of practical experience in power systems designs of different complexities. To his credit, he has 47 publications to date. He is currently supervising PhD work of a number of academic staff candidates at the Covenant University, Ota. They are at their various stages of completion. As an Associate Lecturer (Professorial cadre), he is currently supervising PhD work of a number of candidates at the University of Lagos. He currently teaches Research Methodology (EIE 510) and Power System Planning and Design (EEE 526) at Covenant University. His current Research interests are Reliability of Power systems, wind energy and maintainability of power systems.
He delivered a lecture titled “Plagiarism and Issues of Quality" at Covenant University, Post Graduate School Symposium held between October 30 and 31, 2013.
He also delivered the 38th Public Lecture of Covenant University on October 24th, 2014. He is currently the Deputy Dean, School of Applied Engineering at Covenant University.
Prof. Claudius Ojo Aremu Awosope is a Nigerian and he is happily married with grown-up and successful children. He enjoys football, listening to good music and reading.