Microplastic Pollution Research in Tropical Atlantic Marine Ecosystems (MARSHES)
Goals/Objectives of Project
- Conduct an assessment of microplastics contamination of the core sediment, water and sand beaches of the Gulf of Guinea.
- Quantify the trace metals that have sorbed to the microplastics.
- Identify and quantify the organic pollutants in the microplastics.
- Assess the associated risks and impacts of sorbed trace metals and organic pollutants on biota and humans using standard risk assessment tools.
- Evaluate the probable transfer of microplastic particles to local benthic filter-feeding fishes, which are particularly exposed to the water–sediment interface.
- Determine potential hydrodynamic conditions influence on the dispersion, accumulation, abundance, and composition of microplastics.
- Examine whether the increase in pH, photochemical reaction, etc. could influence the uptake/retention of organic pollutants and its effect on the phytoplankton and zooplankton.
List of Researchers
Contact Details of Facilitators
- Covenant University Centre for Research, Innovation & Discovery (CUCRID)
- Department of Chemistry